Italian and portuguese artist, HElena Valsecchi was born in Novara, Italy, in 1976. She currently lives and works between Lisbon and Peniche, Portugal.
Through a reflection on painting, seen in a broader perspective and including pictorial installation and, in it, physical phenomena such as shadows and reflections, HElena Valsecchi investigates the dimensions of life / death / sacred / memory through the rhetoric of the double, and their experience in the contemporary context.
Since 2015, she has been regularly exhibiting in Portugal and abroad, and she has participated in several art residencies.
Carmona e Costa / Sá da Costa / MArt bursarist for 2019-2020 MArt’s Art Residency program.
- Uma Certa Prática da Atenção, group exhibition. Curator: Ana Anacleto. Paços, Galeria Municipal de Torres Vedras. August 27 to November 12.
- Group exhibition. Galeria Sá da Costa, Lisbon. August 9 to September 8.
- Synecdoche, solo exhibition. Text by João Silvério. Galeria Sá da Costa, Lisbon. June 23 to July 23.
- Guest artist in residence at RAMA, Art Residencies of Maceira and Alfeiria (Portugal) – March 2022, with final exhibition of the project developed in April 2022. Curatorship by João Silvério.
- Collaborative Art Creation Residency in Portugal’s West Coast, with artist Davide Canali. Online portfolio at: www.identidellaterra.com
- Art Residency at RAMA – Residências Artísticas, Maceira, Torres Vedras, Portugal.
- “Insterstício”, collective exhibition | Workshop with Vasco Barata. MAAT, Lisbon, Portugal.
- “Exposição de Bolseiros MArt 2019/2020”, Galeria Sá da Costa, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Art residency at “Casa Animal” with Musa Paradisíaca. Fábrica da Pólvora, Vale de Milhaços, Portugal.
- “Ronda da noite”, final exhibition of MArt’s “Acadêmia de Verão”. “Montejunto 1” project was awarded with Carmona and Costa / MArt / Sá da Costa bursary for the 2019-2020 MArt Artistic Residency program. Lisbon, Portugal
- “PLACELESS”, solo exhibition. Lx Factory, Lisbon, Portugal.
- “Coexistência e Negociação”, collective exhibit. Museu Condes de Castro Guimarães, Cascais, Portugal.
- ArtParma Fair with “809 Art Gallery”, Parma, Italy
- Ar.Co Art Residency, São Carlos Theater, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Collective exhibition “8”, Fábrica Braço de Prata, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Exposição colectiva, Centro Cultural Malaposta, Odivelas, Portugal.
- Collective exhibition, Galeria Beltrão Coelho, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Honorable mention at “Bienal de Artes Plásticas de S. Catarina”, Leiria, Portugal.
- Solo exhibition, Câmara Municipal do Cadaval, Portugal.
- Group exhibition, Centro de Documentação da Câmara Municipal de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Solo exhibition. Banco Popolare, Novara, Italy.
- Selected for an exhibition in VerdiOFF circuit, in occasion of “Festival Verdi”, Teatro Regio – Parma, Italy.
- “Paratissima”, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Solo exhibition, Fábrica Braço de Prata, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Art residency funded by Glo’Art Art Center, Lanaken, Belgium.
- Collective exhibition. Açores Fringe Festival. Madalena, Açores, Portugal.
- “Tonalidades”, art residency. Live performance. Museu do Pico, Açores, Portugal.
2021: ArteCapital – https://www.artecapital.net/snapshot-78-helena-valsecchi
2021: “I Denti della Terra” project, with Davide Canali:
Currently attending a Master in Visual Arts at ESAD.CR, Caldas da Rainha, Portugal
2021: “Art creation from a place” with Carla Rebelo.
2020: “Insterstício”. Workshop with Vasco Barata. MAAT, Lisbon, Portugal.
2019-2020: Resident Artist at MArt – Bursary MArt / Carmona e Costa / Sá da Costa. Lisbon.
2018-2019: Courses / Mentorships. MART, Lisbon, Portugal.
2018: “A Sombra e o seu Duplo” with Fabrizio Montecchi, Museu da Marioneta, Lisbon, Portugal
2018: Drawing and painting, 2nd year. Ar.Co. Lisbon, Portugal.
2014: “Workshop Prático para Fazer uma Escultura Básica em Madeira” with Claire de Santa Coloma – Moinho da Fonte Santa, Alandroal, Portugal.
2011 – Puppet Making Course, Academia Kabuki – Lisbon, Portugal.
2003 – 2006 – Theater studies – Campo Teatrale, Milan, Italy (various representations).
1999 – Degree in Public Relations – IULM, Milan, Italy.
1991 – 1995 – Theatre course, “Caterpillar” company with Wanda Maio – Liceo Scientifico Antonelli, Novara, Italy (several shows and contests at national level).